Fee reductions are provided according to the Arlington County Fee Reduction Policy based on total household income and size relative to the currently-published HUD's Section 8 income limits. A household whose income is below the threshold will pay a percentage of the established fee. Arlington Public Schools designation for free and reduced lunch is one way to document household income. These fee reductions are as follows:
- Reduced lunch program = Household pays 50% of fee
- Free lunch program = Household pays 25% of fee
Persons must apply for fee reductions in person. Please bring photo ID, original document showing Arlington residency and proof of income (such as current APS letter verifying the student's eligibility for free or reduced lunch, Department of Human Services (DHS) Woman, Infant and Children Program (WIC), Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) or Food Stamps, Qualifying letter from DHS employee in Child & Family or IDD Services, Tax returns filed within last 12 months, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), for individual only, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), for individual only, Unemployed adult, for individual only (as long as any other income does not exceed the section 8 guidelines) and fill out the application form (PDF, 44KB) which is also available at any of the community centers listed below.
Fee Reduction Forms are available at the customer service desk at the following community centers:
- DPR Registration Office
3700 S. Four Mile Run Drive, 703-228-4747
- Barcroft Sports and Fitness Center
4200 S. Four Mile Run, 703-228-0701
- Carver Community Center
1415 S. Queen Street, 703-228-5706
- Charles Drew Community Center
3500 23rd Street S., 703-228-5725
- Fairlington Community Center
3308 S. Stafford Street, 703-228-6588
- Gunston Community Center
2700 S. Lang Street, 703-228-6980
- Langston Brown Community Center
2121 N. Culpepper St., 703-228-5210
- Lee Community Center & Senior Center
5722 Lee Highway, 703-228-0550
- Lubber Run Community Center
300 N. Park Drive, 703-228-4712
- Madison Community Center
3829 N. Stafford St., 703-228-5310
- Thomas Jefferson Community Center
3501 2nd Street S., 703-228-5920
- Walter Reed Community Center
2909 16th Street S., 703-228-0935
Children who do not receive free or reduced lunch may still apply for a fee reduction. For information about income limits and required documentation, please review the Arlington County Fee Reduction Policy and bring the appropriate documentation and payment to the walk-up registration.
watch 60-second video
Fee Reduction Policy
- Requests for fee reductions must be made in writing and will be determined based on total Adult Individual or Household income and size relative to the currently-published HUD's Section 8 income limits. An Adult Individual or Household whose income is below the threshold would pay the percentage of the established fee (including any applicable activity fees).
- Adult Individual or Household income is defined as the sum, on an annual basis, of all pay, allowances, maintenance/child support, social services allowances and other income for the Adult Individual or Household.
- For purposes of this policy, the term "fee" refers to any County Board established individual user fee which is paid to the Treasurer, Arlington County, and where the program expenditures come from appropriated funds.
- For fee reductions for contracted camps, contact the Contract Camp Manager.
- All programs and offerings are eligible for fee reduction except the following:
- Personalized service, wherein the customer has the opportunity to self-select who they take the class with, such as one-on-one or group personal training, boxing, Pilates, tennis, etc.
- Destination-driven trips (not an activity within a program)
- Merchandise, concessions and vending
- Exclusive use of facilities
- Tickets to performances, special events and/or non pre-registered programs that are sponsored by DPR
- Persons eligible to apply for fee reductions include:
- Persons who live in or own property in Arlington County
- Employees of Arlington County Government and members of their family living in the same household
- In additional to the previous section, applicants must meet any of the income qualifying criteria from the following list and show appropriate documentation that may include acceptance/approval letter, for the program in which they are enrolled. If the status of any of the qualifications change, the applicant is asked to inform us as it may change their fee reduction status:
- Active financial assistance program clients of Arlington County's Department of Human Services
- APS free/reduced lunch program participants
- Meet the Section 8 income limits (see Fee Reduction Schedule below) based on tax returns filed within the last 12 months.
- Medicaid recipients "may qualify as an adult individual only"
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients "may qualify as an adult individual only"
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) recipients "may qualify as an adult individual only"
- Unemployed adult "may qualify as an adult individual only" (as long as all other income does not exceed the Section 8 guidelines, see Fee Reduction Schedule below). Accepted for verification is showing a valid unemployment check or statement. If applicant is in between being laid off and receiving unemployment, a letter from their previous employer may be accepted.
- Fee reductions will be based on total Adult Individual or Household income.
- Fee reduction status will be applied consistently across all eligible programs and offerings. Fee reductions are applied in addition to other discounts that may apply such as senior discount or family discount offered on camps.
- Adult Individual or Households will retain fee reduction status for no more than twelve months from the date of last application, and no additional application is required during the twelve month period. After twelve months, eligible Adult Individual or Households must re-apply for fee reduction status in accordance with Procedures below.
- Application of fee reductions will not compromise or modify program structure (minimum and maximum enrollments still apply).
- The capacity of programs shall not be exceeded and wait lists will be established on a first-come, first-served basis.
- There is no limit to the number of fee reductions that may be granted for a particular program or a particular eligible participant.
- All eligible programs and offerings are available to Arlington Foster Care children for free. Children must be registered under the DHS Foster Care House Hold in RecTrac. The family may apply for fee reductions separately if they qualify.
- Full refunds for DPR classes will be given when any of the following conditions exist:
- Classes are canceled by DPR.
- Upon request when schedule or location changes made by DPR prohibit or limit participant's attendance.
- For any reason other than those stated above, customers who request a refund prior to the start of the second class will receive a full refund, minus a $20.00 service charge. The refund process will be completed within 30 days.
- There will be no refunds or credits after the second class has started.
- There will be no refunds or credit for one session classes if the participant was unable to attend.
- The deadline for receipt of requests to cancel any specific camp session is 5 PM on the Monday of the week prior to the start of the camp session. Customers who meet this deadline will be issued a full refund, minus a $20.00 service charge. The refund process will be completed within 30 days. No refund or credit will be issued for customers who miss this deadline.
- Refund requests for medical reasons shall be accompanied by a physician note and considered on a case by case basis.
- A scheduled class may fall on a religious holiday. In an effort to respect the community we serve, class participants may make-up a class session that will be missed due to conflicts with their religious holidays, provided another class is available with space. Participants needing such accommodation must inform the registration office at (703) 228-4747 prior to the first day of the class.
- When deemed appropriate by cognizant Unit Manager, Section Leader and/or Division Chief, a time payment schedule of fees due may be established for participants in order to relieve the burden of full payment at one time. Must be done at one of the three listed locations below.
- Exceptions to this policy may be considered on a case-by-case basis, and the decision will be made by the cognizant Unit Manager, Section Leader and/or Division Chief.
- Issued by the Director of Parks and Recreation.
- Fees as approved by the County Board in the current Fiscal Year's Adopted Budget.
- In order to establish fee reduction status, qualified applicants must file a completed Request for Fee Reduction form and provide a copy of pre-qualifying documentation listed below. If unable to provide the specified documentation to substantiate Adult Individual or Household income, applicants must file a completed Fee Reduction Income Documentation Waiver (44KB PDF).
- Using the information provided in a completed Request for Fee Reduction and the pre-qualifying documents, DPR will determine the Adult Individual or Household's fee reduction status using the total Adult Individual or Household income and/or total household size in accordance with limits provided in the Fee Reduction Schedule listed below. That fee reduction status will then be applied consistently across all eligible programs and offerings.
- Application for fee reduction status may be made at any of the following facilities:
Documentation Required for Fee Reduction
Documents must be provided to establish proof of identity, proof of residency (or Arlington property ownership), proof of Arlington County Government employment (if applicable), and proof of household income.
Documents that establish proof of identity:
One document from a government agency (examples may include):
- Valid US Drivers License with photo or VA State ID ("walker ID") issued by DMV or other agency
- US Passport with photo
- Permanent Resident Card (or Resident Alien Card) with photo
- Public or Private School ID with name and photo
- Arlington County employee ID with photo
Documents that establish proof of Arlington residency or Arlington property ownership
One of the following documents (unless you are an Arlington County Government employee):
- Original lease for a property in Arlington (with no alterations to names or address)
- Arlington Personal Property tax bill from Arlington with name on it, dated within the past 12 months.
- Arlington Real Estate tax bill with name on it, dated within the past 12 months
- Arlington sewer/water bill with name on it, dated within the past 12 months.
- Valid car registration with name and Arlington County address.
- Child's report card from an Arlington Public School, issued during the current school year. We can't accept private school report cards as the school may not require County residency to attend.
- Letter on County letter head from a Department of Human Services employee certifying the person is a county resident.
- Mortgage\Deed documentation
- Social Security documents with applicant's Arlington address and name printed on it.
Document that establishes proof of status as an Arlington County Government employee
- Copy of last Pay slip with PRISM logo.
Documents required for proof of household income
One document from the following list:
- Most recent Federal Tax 1040 forms with W2(s) and 1099(s) filed.
- Most recent Virginia State 76X series tax forms with W2(s) and 1099(s) filed.
- DHS-issued Financial Assessment Form (used by DHS staff to qualify individual for fee reduction)
- DHS or APS documents serving as pre-qualifier for financial assistance. In this case, fee reductions will be assessed based on the following:
- Medicaid Card, for individual only = discount of 50%
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI), "adult individual enrollments only."
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), "adult individual enrollments only." Applicant will need to show the award letter for the program they are in. = discount of 50%
- Unemployed adult with a letter from a governmental agency as proof of unemployment, "adult individual enrollments only." = discount of 50% (as long as any other income does not exceed the section 8 guidelines).
- Reduced lunch program = discount of 50%
- Free lunch program = discount of 75%
- Woman Infant and Children Program (WIC) = discount of 75%
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) = discount of 75%
- Food Stamps, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) = discount of 75%
Fee Reduction Schedule
(Information Based Upon Federal Section 8 Website for Arlington Area)
|Section 8 Definitions of Low Income||Income limits are effective December 12, 2011|
|Household Size:||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8 or more|
|% Household Pays|| || || || || || || || |
|50% (includes Reduced Lunch enrollees)||$37,650||$43,000||$48,400||$53,750||$58,050||$62,350||$66,650||$70,950|
|25% (includes Free Lunch, WIC, TANF, and Food Stamp enrollees)||$22,600||$25,800||$29,050||$32,250||$34,850||$37,450||$40,000||$42,600|
Fee Reduction Application
If you have any questions, please contact 703-228-4747.