Arlington Housing Services Section (HSS) provides mediation services by a neutral third-party for Tenant-Landlord issues. This service is provided to residents and landlords of an Arlington County property, who are currently involved in a tenant-landlord dispute. Either party may request the mediation service which is scheduled upon mutual agreement by both parties to participate. The mediation is conducted by a certified mediator from HSS; and may also be accompanied by an intern from the George Mason Law School.
Mediation is a process by which parties voluntarily meet with one another and a mediation specialist to work together and resolve their disputes. Together, all participants identify issues that need to be resolved and develop options in order to reach settlement. Any resolution requires both parties to agree; no decision can be imposed on you. If no agreement is reached, however, you are free to pursue court remedies.
1. Application: The mediation process begins by the completion and submittal of a referral form (click on the link below) to the County's Housing Services Section.
2. Review: Staff will review the form and determine whether your case is right for mediation.
3. Planning: If it is, staff will then contact you and the other party and, if the other party is agreeable, schedule a date for the mediation. Mediation sessions run approximately one and a half (1.5) hours.
4. Mediation: The mediation will be conducted by a certified mediator of the HSS staff. The mediator will listen to each party's concerns and will help the parties come to a mutually agreeable solution and develop ways to communicate more effectively.
5. Agreement: Once the parties have reached an agreement on all or some of the issues being mediated, the parties will draft a written settlement agreement. It is important to remember that this settlement agreement must be satisfactory to both sides and that the language of the agreement will be the participants'. If the parties are close to reaching an agreement, mediation may be reconvened for anther date for additional time needed.
For more information, email or call (703-228-3765) the Housing Division.